I’m a full stack web developer who loves building accessible and friendly websites to fill real needs. I will solve any problem with the aid of Google and J.S. Bach. You should hire me.
Music Arranger & Gardener January 2016 to Present
Taking a break from the tech world to delve deeper into some passions:
- Arranging music to play with a weekly amateur chamber ensemble of unconventional and changing instrument combinations. The group has at times included flute, clarinet, sax, trumpet, french horn, trombone, piano, viola, violin, cello, ukelele, tin whistle, dulcimer, voice, and percussion, with varying levels of skill. Finding scores that suit this group has been a challenge, so I have arranged existing classical and contemporary works for us. Some highlights include The Hebrides by Mendelssohn, Rhapsody in Blue by Gershwin, and Bad Romance by Germanotta and Khayat.
- Building a floriferous garden by ripping out overgrown shrubs, sad lawn, and barren rock mulch in favor of classic perennials, xeric plants, and vegetable beds.
Environment: Finale, IMSLP.org, shovels, mattocks, clay, compost, sunshine
Full Stack Web & Mobile Developer June 2015 to December 2015
Blank Slate Systems, Boulder, CO zotebook.io
Working on Zotebook, an iOS app for laser cutting. Free-hand sketches can be revised with more precise geometry and efficiently laid out for fabrication. Major projects include redesigning the UI of the mobile and web apps and implementing features for classroom collaboration and vector text.
Environment: Xamarin, iOS, C#, OpenGL, Go, EmberJS, PostgreSQL
Full Stack Web Developer November 2013 to May 2015
SparkFun Electronics, Niwot, CO sparkfun.com
Worked with a 10-developer team on a custom e-commerce website and ERP system serving 1 million visitors/month. Major projects include:
- Overhauled desktop-only site to responsive mobile design with Bootstrap 3 and off-canvas menus.
- Enhanced pricing system with a rules engine to support sales, quantity pricing, and multiple customer types.
- Revamped plain-text customer emails (order/shipping confirmations, etc) with beautifully functional HTML.
- Modernized legacy backend code, greatly improving workflow for product and content management.
- Improved related product recommendation algorithm, increasing engagement/sales of related products.
Environment: MVC PHP, PostgreSQL, Debian, nginx, MongoDB, jQuery, LESS, Bootstrap, GitHub, CasperJS, PHPUnit, Jenkins, Analytics
IT Architect & Web Developer June 2005 to October 2013
Suzuki Association of the Americas, Boulder, CO suzukiassociation.org
Built a large nonprofit website from scratch including design, programming, and content, all on a tight budget. Created custom solutions for:
- Online donations, e-commerce and membership renewal payments
- Searchable geographic music teacher database
- Educational video programs with 8,000 annual subscribers
- Events calendar with online course registration and personalized recommendations
- Email newsletters and marketing with over 40% open rate
- Discussion forums and professional networking profiles
- Website performance optimization: query optimization, caching, minification, etc
Redefined many business processes for web workflow, including:
- Custom, Intuitive CMS: Enables staff to update website content and manage/support web services. Automatic activity logging, plus live reporting dashboards for board and other stakeholders.
- Video Auditions: User uploaded video in any format is transcoded for web streaming and viewed by a panel of jurors from across the country. Applicant receives results in days (instead of months with DVDs).
- Online Course Management and Conference Planning Tools: Scheduling collaboration, attendee registration, automatic emailed reminders, managed prerequisites, and achievement tracking.
In addition to web development, I was responsible for coordinating the summer camp program, updating social media, writing the monthly email newsletter, video editing, and member email and phone support. It was a small team, and everyone had to wear many hats!